Most people who are U.S. citizens already know it

Most people who are U.S. citizens already know it, either because they were born in the U.S. or because they successfully applied to become naturalized citizens.

However, U.S. citizenship can be obtained in two additional, less well-known ways, including:
• birth outside the U.S. to U.S. citizen parents (acquisition), or
• citizenship or naturalization of parents after the child has obtained a green card in the U.S. (derivation).

Many people born or Uving outside the U.S. are already U.S. citizens but don’t know it. The key to acquisition of citizenship is having U.S. citizens in your direct line of ancestry. Even though you were born elsewhere and your U.S. ancestors have not lived in the U.S. for a long time, U.S. citizenship may have still been passed down the line.

Derivation of citizenship helps people who do live in the U.S., but who didn ‘t realize that minor children with green cards can acquire citizenship automatically, without having to apply for naturalization.

You can’t lose your citizenship just by living outside of the U.S. for
too long. People who were born in the U.S. but have lived most of their lives in other countries sometimes believe that their long absence from the U.S. and voting or military activities elsewhere have stripped them of U.S. citizenship.

That’s not the case—anyone born with U.S. citizenship will retain it for life unless he or she performs some act to intentionally lose it, such as filing an oath of renunciation.

This book does not describe how people who have already gotten their green cards can apply to become naturalized citizens. For complete information on your eligibility7 and the process, see Becoming a U.S. Citizen:

Guide to the Law, Exam & Inteniew, by Ilona Bray (Nolo).
What If You Were Born “Out of Wedlock” to a U.S. Citizen Father?
In many cases, your right to U.S. citizenship may depend on your relationship to a U.S. citizen father. However, if your parents weren’t married at the time you were born, the laws of the time may refer to you as “illegitimate,” meaning in legal terms that you have no recognized father.

As you ’11 see in the sections below, your right to claim citizenship may depend on your proyiding evidence that your father took the actions necessary7 to satisfy7 the legitimation law of your birth country. Legitimation laws require fathers to legally acknowledge
their children.

New Jersey Immigration Attorney  – Amazon


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s