In the United States, the most common way of obtaining immigration benefits is through an immigrant Visa (Green Card) petition filed by a relative that is either a U.S. Citizen or a Lawful Permanent Resident.

U.S. Citizens can sponsor a spouse, parent, a married or unmarried child, or a sibling to become a lawful permanent resident of the United States and obtain a Green Card. Except in the case of a spouse, the U.S. Citizen petitioners must be at least 21 years old to file an immigration petition for a relative. A U.S. Citizen can also file an immigrant Visa petitions for a Fiancée.

A Green Card holder can only sponsor a spouse or unmarried children.

Petitions for immediate relatives of U.S. citizens are not subject to numerical limitations. Immediate relatives include:

  • Spouse of a U.S. citizen (if the marriage is less than 2 years old, the immigrant spouse will be granted a Conditional Green Card)
  • Minor Children of a U.S. citizen
  • Parents of a U.S. citizen

Petitions for other relatives of U.S. Citizens and petitions filed by Green Card holders are subject to numerical limitations, and divided in the following categories:

Read more here:



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s